Magnets & Scanners: Magnets - Part I
To locate subjects on this site, enter keywords in the search box or click on a question or topic below
Magnets - Part I: Q&A's
- There seem to be many different MRI magnets and designs. Can you explain?
- How many brands of scanners are there?
- Which way does the main magnetic field point in an MR scanner?
- Which end of a scanner is the north or south pole?
- How do you define low-, mid- and high-field?
- Most magnets sold today are of the high-field superconducting. Why would anyone want to buy a lower field strength scanner?
- Aren't there some major disadvantages to lower field strength scanners?
- An MR salesman claims his scanner has better "homogeneity" than that of his competitor. What is he talking about?
- How important is good homogeneity?
- What is shimming and why is it needed?
- How is passive shimming performed?
- How does active shimming work?
Magnets - Part I: Topics