Magnets & Scanners: Magnets - Part II
To locate subjects on this site, enter keywords in the search box or click on a question or topic below
Magnets - Part II: Q&A's
- What causes superconductivity?
- Isn't superconduction like perpetual motion? Doesn't the current in the superconducting coils ever slow down?
- If the magnet coils are in a closed superconducting loop, how do you get current into them to ramp up the field initially?
- How are superconducting scanners constructed?
- I've heard about room temperature superconductors. Will MR magnets of the future be made of these materials?
- Don't superconducting scanners consume liquid helium? How often does it need to be replenished?
- What is a quench?
- Is the magnetic field turned on and off between patients?
- Does the scanner have an emergency "stop" button?
Magnets - Part II: Topics