The NMR Phenomenon: Spin
To locate subjects on this site, enter keywords in the search box or click on a question or topic below
- What is spin?
- Why are the allowable values for spin either whole or half integers? Why couldn't all the spins be whole numbers, or for that matter, any value whatsoever?
- You seem to use terms nuclei, protons, and spins interchangeably, but aren't these different things?
- How do you predict the value of nuclear spin (I) based on the number of protons and neutrons?
- What is the gyromagnetic ratio (γ)?
- What is the difference between "spin" and "spin state"?
- Why do spin-up and spin-down states have different energies?
- If a system seeks to minimize its total energy level, why don't all the protons simply reside in the lower energy spin state?
- Nearly all the books and papers I have seen show diagrams of protons flipping from spin-up to spin-down states. Are you telling me these are all wrong?